Connect with us



Table of Contents

Why has NSFAS chosen to work with Thusong Centres for 2021 Application Cycle

Thusong Service Centres are one-stop, integrated community development centers that encourage community participation and provide services that meet people’s needs. They seek to empower the poor and disadvantaged by providing them with information, services, and resources from the government, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), parastatals, businesses, and other organizations, allowing them to participate in government programs to improve their lives.

I no longer remeber or use the email and cell number i registered with. How can i retrieve my OTP?

  • Navigate to and select myNSFAS account.
  • Enter your e-mail address and password.
  • Select the My personal information tab.
  • Fill in your current phone number and email address.
  • Click Please update your information.
  • A One Time Pin (OTP) will be sent to the newly provided cell phone number and email address.
  • Enter the OTP and press the submit button.
  • Your information will be updated immediately.

When will application results be communicated?

All applicants will be notified of their application status once NSFAS receives confirmation from the institution that an academic offer has been made to them. This will be communicated to you via SMS, email, and your myNSFAS account prior to the start of the academic year.

I am a parent, unemployed, was not retrenched, what proof my i submit for the application?

Although an affidavit will be accepted, your employment status will be verified through government and third-party agencies.

Do i need to apply each semester or trimester if i am currently approved?

No, you do not need to reapply if you are currently funded by NSFAS.

What supporting are required when i apply?

All applicants must submit a certified copy of their ID that is no more than three months old. A consent form that has been signed and completed. If you are financially dependent on your parents/guardians/spouse, please provide the following information: Parent/s, guardian, and spouse certified ID copies must be no older than 3 months. Proof of parent, guardian, or spouse’s income (payslip or appointment letter) If you are self-sufficient (do not rely on your parents or guardians), please provide: Income documentation (payslip or appointment letter). Please provide the following information if you have a disability: Annexure A has been completed and signed (if your information is not pre-populated on the portal). If you are an orphan, please provide the following information: Declaration Form, signed and completed Other documents required, if any: Retrenchment letter / UIF documentation; Death certificate/s; Divorce decree.

My parents/guardian is an informal trader selling fruits, what proof of income should i upload?

As proof, an affidavit from your parent/guardian will be required. Third-party agencies will verify your parents’/guardians’ income.

I already have a bursary from another organization that covers part of my studies, can i apply for NSFAS to cover the balance of funds needed?

Students receiving a full NSFAS bursary may not receive another full cost of study bursary at the same time. If a student receives a partial bursary from another source, an NSFAS bursary may be awarded; however, the allocations must be reduced in order for the student to be fully supported for their studies. NSFAS may refuse to pay for amounts already paid for by another funder. The Institution must return any excess funding to NSFAS. A student may not receive more funding than is permitted by the DHET National Rules and Guidelines.

Why has NSFAS chosen to work with Teacher Centres?

Professional Teaching Development (CPTD) courses are offered, and teachers can participate in Professional Learning Communities (PLCs). Vodacom and UNISA collaborate with the DBE to improve teachers’ Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills, and have equipped the majority of the 147 DTDCs with ICT resources and internet access. This makes the DTDCs digital teaching and learning hubs that also provide services to district learners and members of the community in which they are based. A list of Teachers Centres that are taking part is attached. All students who wish to use such services must schedule an appointment with the Centre manager.

I am still studying, am i required to start paying NSFAS load?

Did you know that repayment of your student loan is only due after you have found work? If you received a study loan in 2017 or earlier, you are eligible for a 12-month post-exit interest holiday on your student loan account.

Does the NSFAS funding cover short courses at universities?

No, NSFAS funding is only available for approved funded programs at universities, which include all undergraduate whole qualifications, such as a degree or diploma.

I am an orphan (vulnerable child), how/where do i get hold of a social worker?

You can ask a Life Orientation educator or principal to direct you to your local Department of Social Development.

What are the NSFAS bursary academic requirements?

To receive NSFAS funding to study at a TVET college, you must have completed Grades 9 to 12, and Grade 12 to study at a university or TVET college. If you are approved for NSFAS funding, you must first meet the academic admission requirements of the university or TVET college before NSFAS will provide you with any funds.

Can i apply for NSFAS if i was funded previously?

Yes, you are eligible to apply for funding. During the application period, you will be required to apply. Please keep in mind that if you registered prior to 2018, your combined household income cannot exceed R122 000 per year. If you registered for the first time in 2018 or after, your combined household income cannot exceed R350 000 per year.

Where is the nearest center to apply?

Visit to find an application centre closest to you.

Can students with disabilities apply for funding?

Yes. Financial assistance is encouraged for students with disabilities. All approved students with disabilities at any of the 26 public universities or 50 TVET colleges are eligible for special disability funding through NSFAS. The applicant’s annual household income cannot exceed R600 000.

I have yet to receive a funding decision regarding my funding application.

Log in to your myNSFAS account to view your application status and track its progress. The page will inform you of the status of your application.

I only have a cellphone and no email address, how do i proceed with the application?

It is simple and free to set up an email account. To ensure that you receive relevant communication from NSFAS, please create an email address through Gmail, Yahoo, Webmail, or any other free email service provider.

Can I apply for NSFAS if I have already studied without NSFAS funding or with another sponsor?

Yes, if you are a South African citizen studying at a public university or TVET college, you may apply. If you registered and began studying before 2018, your combined household income must not exceed R122 000 per year in order to qualify. However, if you registered for the first time in or after 2018, your combined household income cannot exceed R350 000 per year.

Is NSFAS funding semester students, and how does the process work?

NSFAS funds a student for the duration of their studies, so they do not require students to apply every semester or year. When a student is approved for funding, it is for the entire academic year as well as subsequent years if the student meets the academic progression requirements.

How do I register for a myNSFAS account?

  • Navigate to and select the myNSFAS tab.
  • Click the register button. To allow NSFAS to verify and validate the information you provided, select the Accept option.
  • Enter your ID number exactly as it appears on your ID document.
  • Fill in your given name and surname exactly as they appear on your ID document.
  • Enter your email address and phone number. Your email address will be your username.
  • Make a password for yourself and confirm it.
  • Please upload a copy of your ID.
  • Click the register button.
  • A One Time Pin (OTP) will be sent to the email address and cellphone number you provided after you click register.
  • Check your email and cellphone for the OTP.
  • In the provided tab, enter the OTP and click submit.
  • You will then receive another SMS and email confirming that your myNSFAS account has been created. You may now continue with your application.

I applied for NSFAS funding and received an application reference number, but I never heard back.

Log into your myNSFAS account and track your application to check its status. If you do not already have a myNSFAS account, go to to learn how to set one up.

What proof of income should I upload if my parent/guardian is a taxi driver?

You must submit a letter of employment indicating your parent’s or guardian’s income.

Is it now guaranteed that a student who was previously rejected by NSFAS due to a lack of funds will be awarded funding?

All eligible students who have been admitted to universities or TVET colleges and have a household income of less than R350 000 will be funded.

What if i don’t have a cellphone?

You will need a working cellphone, a valid cellphone number, and your own email address to apply online. If you don’t have a cellphone, you can borrow one from a trusted guardian or relative, but it’s best if you have your own device and phone number. There may be no more than two applicants who use the same cell phone number or email address. This information is required to set up a myNSFAS account, which will be used to apply for funding.

How to update your contact details?

Log in to your myNSFAS account using your Username (email address) and password to update your cellphone number or email address. After you’ve logged in, go to the top of your screen and click Personal Details. After that, you’ll be able to change your phone number and email address.

Which institutions does NSFAS provide funding for?

NSFAS will only provide financial assistance to eligible students who have applied and been accepted to a public university or TVET college for a funded program. We do not provide funding if you plan to or are currently enrolled in a private institution.

What is the NSFAS funding for?

Tuition, registration, and allowances may be covered depending on the student’s study situation. NSFAS provides tuition and registration assistance to all approved students. Students who are NSFAS-funded and wish to study at a university will receive additional allowances to cover the costs of books, transportation, housing, food, and personal care. Students who are NSFAS-funded and wish to study at a TVET college will receive additional allowances to cover the costs of transportation, lodging (including meals), and personal care. NSFAS-funded students with disabilities receive funding based on the TVET and university allowance list, which includes supporting devices such as wheelchairs, special computer devices, and human support based on the student’s needs.


What if you are denied the NSFAS bursary?

If an applicant is dissatisfied with the results of their applications, they can appeal the decision by completing the appeal process, which is available through their myNSFAS account for first-time entering students or at the institution’s financial aid for continuing or senior students.

I intend to pursue two qualifications at two different institutions at the same time.

At any given time, a student can only be funded for one qualification at one institution. If the student completed an N6 qualification at a TVET college, he or she may be eligible for university funding. Once your N6 is completed, you will need to apply for university funding.

I attended a TVET college but want to pursue a university degree in 2022.

Yes, you must have passed and completed your 2020 TVET qualification in order to be funded for the university qualification in 2021. You must apply to the university for an NSFAS-funded course; once admitted, the university will send us registration details that will confirm your registration; we will then change your funding from TVET to university.

Is NSFAS responsible for paying registration fees for first-year and returning students?

Yes. Registration fees are typically the first payment made toward your tuition costs, and if you have been approved for funding by NSFAS, universities and TVET colleges will not expect you to pay them upfront.

I already have a university qualification but would like to pursue a second one.

Students with prior university qualifications do not qualify and should not apply for funding. Students who have completed TVET N6 qualifications are no longer eligible for funding at TVET colleges, but they are eligible for funding at universities.

Copyright © 2023 Srd-Sassa-Status.