As the Section Ventilation officer you will be responsible for our most critical assets, namely our people! We all know how important good quality air and sound quality is for people in order to function at optimal levels.
By looking after our assets, you’ll become an asset too.
Anglo American has a portfolio of world-class mining operations. We mine, process, move and market the essential ingredients that enable a cleaner, more connected world and that meet fast growing consumer-driven demands for products from smartphones to electric cars. Our basic materials build homes, offices, railways and airports, and our diamonds fulfil people’s dreams.
Our Platinum business mines, processes and refines the entire range of platinum group metals (PGMs): platinum, palladium, rhodium, ruthenium, iridium and osmium. We are the world’s leading primary producer of PGMs, which have a range of specialised applications that improve lives across the world – from vehicle fuel cells to jewellery; dentistry to glassmaking; pacemakers to petroleum refining.
You will take responsibility for the maintenance of ventilation and occupational hygiene systems in order to ensure a safe and healthy working environment with at least 3 – 5 years practical experience in the Ventilation and Occupational Hygiene Field within a hard rock underground mining operation.
The focus for this role will be to:
- Sets daily-, weekly- and monthly ventilation and occupational hygiene routine schedules.
- Determines the need for, and assists in the development of ventilation and occupational hygiene procedures and standards as well as acting on ventilation and occupational hygiene-related legislation.
- Advises on changes to plans and schedules to minimise the effect of unexpected or unsafe work practices as well as stopping the operation if the working conditions are unsafe/unhealthy.
- Maintain Ventilation and Occupational Hygiene strategies and systems.
- Conduct risk assessments and participate in audits.
- Conducts daily ventilation and occupational hygiene inspections and records findings and report findings and recommend appropriate interventions.
- Computer literate in MS Office and all other specialised technical programs as would be normally associated with ventilation and hygiene reporting in a mining environment.
This role is in the Mineral Resource Management department at a C5 level reporting to the Shaft Ventilation Engineer.
- Practical certificate in Mine Environmental Control.
- Chamber of Mines Intermediate Certificate in Mine Environmental Control.
- Registered with the Mine Ventilation Society on Intermediate level.”
- Formal training or practical experience in: Certificate in Environmental Health, Certificate in Occupational Hygiene, Certificate in Occupational Hygiene Risk Assessment, Certificate in Occupational Hygiene Legislation will be advantageous
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Who we are?
Anglo American is a global diversified mining business. Our portfolio of world-class mining operations provides the metals and minerals that make modern life possible. We use innovative practices and the latest technologies to discover new resources and mine, process, move and market our products to our customers around the world.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.